WELLNESS (MENTAL, PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL, SPIRITUAL)
Today, many people think of wellness in the same category as physical health (nutrition, weight management, exercise, etc.), but that is not the case. Wellness is often associated with the holistic integration of mental, physical, and spiritual well-being. It fuels the body, engages the mind, and nurtures the spirit. Although the concept of wellness is often associated with striving for health, it is also more of living life to the full. Or better still, a personalized approach to living life in ways that make you attain your objectives and maximize your full potential.
The concept of wellness has and continues to be applied in many ways. Irrespective of the diverse views associated with wellness, the National Wellness Institute has had its say. Thanks to their merger with some leaders in health and wellness, they derived a wellness model which states that;
- Wellness is a mindful, self-directed, and evolving process geared towards achieving your potential
- It is also multidimensional and all-inclusive, surrounding lifestyle, mental and spiritual well-being, and the environment
- And finally, wellness is positive and affirming
Wellness (Mental, Physical, Emotional, Spiritual)
The concept of wellness demands good self-stewardship, not just for ourselves but also for those we care about and who care about us in return. For those in helping positions (doctors, nurses), the whole concept of wellness is not just a professional responsibility, but it is also personal responsibility. Haven said that wellness covers eight interdependent dimensions, namely:
- And environmental
It is worth noting that attention must be given to all the dimensions cited above. Meaning neglect of any dimension over the other is equivalent to an unfavorable effect on the
- And the quality of life of others
Adhering to the six-dimensional model means you become aware of the relationship between the various dimensions and their contributions to healthy living. This model elaborates on
- How a person should contribute to their community and environment and how they should go about building appropriate living spaces and social networks
- Enriching their lives through work and its interconnectedness to living and, of course, playing
- Creating robust belief systems, values, and a world-view
- The benefits of regular physical healthy eating habits, vitality, strength, and most importantly, when to seek medical attention.
- Self-control, self-esteem, and fortitude as a sense of direction
Inculcating a wellness approach is a valuable tool in almost every human endeavor. Regarded as a pathway to optimal living means wellness is present in every field of life and shouldn’t be taken for granted.